Luma is a not-for-profit organisation which has been providing services for Western Australian women since 1977.
Over the years, Luma has grown from a small medical and counselling clinic for women in the 70’s, to a holistic, integrated, one-stop shop for women of all ages, stages, cultures and identities.
Today, we are a dynamic team of 85 women: therapists, support workers, doctors, nurses, counsellors, corporate officers, receptionists, dietitians, executives, board members, specialists and peer workers.
Together, we support and empower women.
- 1977Opening of Women’s Health Care House in Glendower Street, Highgate, offering medical and counselling services for women.
- 1988English classes for migrant women commence.
- 1989Whitfords Women’s Health Centre commences.
- 1991Domestic Violence Support Group commences.
- 1992Perth Women’s Centre opens on Aberdeen Street.
- 1994Counselling for Abuse by Health Professionals program commences.
- 1996Award winning Mental Health Community Outreach Project, now known as ‘Be Well’ commences.
- 1998Women’s Healthworks opens in Joondalup.
- 2001Award winning Multicultural Women’s Advocacy Service commences.
- 2005Women’s Healthcare House and Perth Women’s Centre merge under name Women’s Health Services.
- 2006Physical activity program commences, including exercise classes for migrant women.
- 2007Volunteer Program commences.
- 2008Building commences on purpose built service in Newcastle Street.
- 2009Multicultural Women’s Advocacy Services now in six different locations – Perth, Northbridge, Mirrabooka, Gosnells, Fremantle, Mandurah.
- 2010Women’s Health Services renamed as Women’s Health & Family Services.
- 2012Rural in Reach program commences, the first of its kind in Western Australia, delivering services to regional community centres.
- 2014Joondalup Healthworks merges with Women’s Health and Family Services.
- 2016Training and Education program commences, providing gender specific training and education.
- 2017Workplace Wellbeing Survey developed to help workplaces access psychological risk factors within the workplace.
- 2018Children’s Therapy Room renovation completed.
- 2023Our programs for eating disorders underwent an expansion to cater to youth and all genders, through 6 programs.
- 2023Rebrand project: Womens Health & Family Services becomes Luma.